Monday 29 April 2013

Not trying to be beautiful


Yesterday I left Angle Bay, heading towards Pembroke and my first rest day. My guidebook to the coastal path warns readers not to expect too much of this stretch. In the background of my photos of the boats in the bay are the pipes and chimneys of the refinery I will walk past once I cross the Cleddau River. On both sides of the river it is very industrial. I don't mind industrial. In fact dad, whose death inspired me to do this walk, was an enthusiast of those subjects thought of as ugly or ignored in favour of the kind of bling scenery I have written about in my last few posts.

I do actually like the architecture of such productivity; it has been designed for a purpose without regard for any kind of aesthetic and this I appreciate. It is not trying to be beautiful but, somehow, it is. A bit like the Green Bridge of Wales which doesn't try either. Beauty in the eye of the beholder, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment